Friday, March 20, 2015

The Repeat Year by Andrea Lochen, A Review

The Repeat Year by Andrea Lochen


Review

I borrowed a copy of this book from my library.  Here is my honest review.

What would you do differently if you could live a year over? Lochen explores this very question in The Repeat Year, a book that I completely enjoyed despite my doubts. I joined a reading challenge that required a science fiction read, a genre I do not read since the few I've read in the past have not been especially enjoyable. Fortunately, my library has a science fiction section that I began to browse in search of a book that would fulfill the criteria. The Repeat Year was a title that stood out from the rest and the cover definitely did not look like what I expect to see in science fiction, so it came home with me. 

The story was immediately engrossing and the characters were easily to sympathize with. With the way the story plays out, the reader can form opinions as whether Olive is making the best choice the second time around. "Hindsight is 20/20" shines out as a true adage in the events that unfold. There were moments when I doubted that Olive would be able to accomplish her main goal of repairing the relationship with her ex; the twists that Lochen added to the plot enhanced the story and kept it from being a predictable love story to one that had me on the (virtual) edge of my seat, with fingers crossed that Olive and Phil would have a happy ending.

I will definitely keep an eye out for Lochen's second book and would read more science fiction if it was this enjoyable to read.  I found Lochen's debut book to be exceptionally well written with great character development and an intriguing, well thought out plot.

I gave this book: 

★ = I did not like it     ★ = It was okay     ★ = I liked it    
★ = I really liked it     ★ = I loved it

No comments: