Monday, March 23, 2015

Need You for Keeps by Marina Adair, A Review

Need You for Keeps (St. Helena Vineyard, #6)

Amazon          Goodreads          Barnes and Noble

Book Description


When it comes to caring for the furry residents of St. Helena, California, groomer and pet rescuer Shay Michaels can handle anything. Humans are another story, though especially Deputy Jonah Baudouin. He's the town s resident superhero: upright, uptight, and jaw-droppingly gorgeous, even when he s investigating complaints about Shay s beloved foster animals. And that spells danger for Shay, a free spirit who can't risk trusting the wrong person again.

Jonah and Shay have been circling each other ever since she came to town, and h' s running out of reasons to "not" kiss her senseless. But this deputy is a straight shooter with his eye on the sheriff s badge. He can't afford to get involved with Shay, a chaos magnet with luscious curves who's liable to turn his career and his life upside down. He enforces laws. She breaks them repeatedly. Keeping her out of trouble is becoming a full-time job and i' s one he hopes is never going to end."

Review

I received an eARC copy of this book from the publisher. Here is my honest review.



While this book is a contemporary romance and follows the formula you typically find, it is much more.  The characters are beautifully written; not just Shay and Jonah, but even the most minor of characters as well.  Shay was exceptionally well-written as a woman who finds it hard to trust those around her but she does it without what I think of as "weak girl whining".    

I always enjoy romance series that are set in small towns with a cast of characters that you can't help but fall in love with - this book definitely delivers that.  My husband walked in at one point with me shaking my head at one of the characters.  Adair wrote a story telling Shay and Jonah's story that drew me in as a reader.  And since each book is a standalone, it is easy to catch up on the series.

Please note that the cover of this book made me think it would be a "sweet" romance.  It was full of sweetness, but did have a few very racy scenes. 

I gave this book: 

★ = I did not like it     ★ = It was okay     ★ = I liked it    
★ = I really liked it     ★ = I loved it

No comments: